Sunday, April 20, 2008

Marco Polo

As a person from the West, that is about to go and spend a month in the Far East...I can't help but feel a connection to one of best known of the earlier visitors from the West, Marco Polo. I have to admit I have always had a strong interest in Marco Polo and his journey. I guess my love of travel has pulled me to his adventure, and his story . I also find it very interesting that so many people still question that he actually made the trip all the way to China...but as much as I have read and studied about Marco Polo, it is very obvious he made the journey and fell in love with Cathay (the Medieval name for China) and the people there, not the least of which was their impressive leader...Kublai Khan. Marco most certainly was amazed and impressed with this most powerful ruler of 1271.

Having said all that, it is amazing how little information there is in "ONE PLACE" that deals with this story. (other than from Polo's own book of course...which is good reading as well) That is until recently. MARCO POLO: From Venice to Xanadu by Laurence Bergreen is my newest read in my preparation for visiting China. It does an excellent job of not only using Marco's writings, but also researching other sources from the time, and visiting the places that Marco visited. I am about 1/2 through this and it is EXCELLENT!



Another source, is from National Geographic. Mike Edwards and his photographer companion, Michael Yamashita traveled in the footsteps of Marco Polo and recorded what the current world is like along Marco's trail. They traveled 6,000 miles through 8 countries.

The slideshow is very nice.


The return home site can be found here.

There is also an online exhibit put together by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, that is interactive and has some good information.


In the Footseps of Marco Polo

No comments: